Tuesday, November 24, 2009

'Twas the night before Thanksgiving eve

I know it may sound crazy for me to go through all of the fuss of making a big Thanksgiving dinner for just the 6 of us, but I love spending all day Wednesday in the kitchen cooking and baking. I used to bake a whole chicken instead of a turkey, but last year I decided I needed to practice up on my turkey-baking skills. Who knows... one day I may have a household of children and grandchildren to feed on Thanksgiving and I want to be ready!! My only concern this year is that the turkey won't thaw out in time. I have the schedule already made out. 8:oo - start baking the cake. Next, make the cornbread for the dressing.... More cooking and baking until 12:oo when the star of our dinner takes over the oven. In the midst of all this preparation, I'm carving out time to spend with my children to talk about what this season means. It's more than just the continual feasting. Thanksgiving should not be just a day on the calendar; it should be an attitude that we carry in our hearts all year long. Yeah, I know you've heard that already. But how do we instill a truly grateful spirit in our children? The most important thing I feel we should remember is to lead by example. I know my children have heard me grumble and complain over trivial matters and I'm not proud of that fact at all. But when I look at all I have, all I've been given, and most importantly all Christ has done for me and my family, I can't help but swell with thankfulness. May we all remember God's blessings and share our gratefulness with those closest to us this holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment