Monday, February 21, 2011

Growing Up

Today marks the 2 year anniversary of my mom's death.  I miss her so much.  There are so many things I would like to talk to her about and questions I would like to ask her.

In thinking about that today, it occurred to me that I need to make the most of the time I have with my children.  I envision teaching them all sorts of skills, passing along wisdom I've gained through my life, making all sorts of memories with them.  But days turn into weeks and I fall short of the goals that I determine for myself.

I heard someone once say that "today is the tomorrow you were planning on changing your life".  I think we just get caught up in the "everyday" to take time to really step back and take an objective look at ourselves and at the life we are living.  Are we fulfilling those dreams we always said we would?  Is life just too hectic to really focus on doing what's important to us?

I must realize that in some ways I am still growing.  We all are.  We should continue to grow in love, patience, kindness...  But in many aspects, I must tell myself, "Hey, you ARE all grown up now and you should be living out the life God has called  you to live."  Instead of thinking that "some day" I will suddenly grow up and change my ways and start doing all of those things I feel in my heart I have been called to do, I've got to wake up to the fact that TODAY is the day to start doing all of those things.

A good definition of the word "insanity" is this:  doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.  My children can't stop growing and wait until I decide I'm going to be the mother I was called to be.  My relationship with my husband can't be put on pause just so I can fulfill my selfish ambitions.  No, today is the day I make up my mind to FINALLY choose to put aside all dreaming and begin DOING!

No comments:

Post a Comment